Tuesday, March 02, 2010

give your whole wheat bread a cinnamon swirl

About 8 years ago I learned how to make really great bread. I have a Bosch mixer (love it!) and have a recipe that is so easy to make using the Bosch. I promise I'll share my recipe (which is a mix of my mom's & my mother-in-law's recipe) sometime soon. I love to make my own bread because I know what goes into it, it's pennies per loaf compared to $2 or $3 or more for a quality loaf of bread from the store, and I can use my own freshly ground whole wheat flour in it or other fun things like oat flour, wheat bran, flax, etc.

Today while I was perusing one of my favorite sites, Everyday Food Storage, I came across a great idea! It's probably not ground breaking to experienced bakers, and it's not a completely new idea to me. It's more like the lightbulb went on for me finally.

EverydayFoodStorage.net has a great tutorial for turning your whole wheat bread dough into a cinnamon loaf.

She also has instructions for making twisty baked doughnuts (can't wait to try that one, too). It's not that making a cinnamon loaf is hard or tricky to do - but just THE IDEA of using my regular bread dough to make something a little special clicked with me today.

We needed more bread anyway, so I whipped up a batch and turned two of my eight loaves (I make smaller loaves)  into yummy cinnamon swirl bread. That bread with just a little bit of butter, cinnamon and sugar was a huge hit here. The kids had to be pried away from it so I could save a couple of slices for my hubby. I loved that they were probably much healthier than regular cinnamon rolls, and just an extra step or two on my regular bread making day.

I need a little more practice perfecting it so I don't have gaps and it's more even, but the taste was divine! This worked for me today and I can promise you that it's probably going to work for me every week I make bread from now on.

UPDATE: My sister and very good baker, Nikki, just gave me a great tip. She mentioned that if I leave out the butter and just put the cinnamon and sugar in the middle of the bread, I won't have the open holes in the swirl. The dough will still stick to itself as it rises and be just as yummy! Then, put butter on top of the finished loaf and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh YUM!!!!!

Becki@BlogMommas

Shelby said...

Wow, that looks really good! I'll have to definitely try that.

Nikki said...

I can almost smell the cinnamon goodness through the internet. We like to make cinnamon raisin bread with Mom's whole wheat recipe. The kids love to help with poking the raisins into the dough. I think we may have to make some for our Wednesday lunch/playdate. Gabbers and friend will love doing that together.

Jenny said...

Hehe that looks yummy :D

Lori @ Couponomic Stimulus Package said...

YUMMY!!! My friend told me to do that and it's AWESOME!!! Thanks for lining up!

The Saved Quarter said...

Looks delicious! I've never tried making my own cinnamon bread. Do you add raisins, too? I love cinnamon raisin bread.

Frugal Friend said...

That's a great idea about leaving out the butter. Healthier too! BTW, thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad to come across yours, for I've been interested in making homemade english muffins too for some time.

Sherry said...

Oh, wow! Thanks for the great tip! I didn't know that, and I love making cinnamon swirl bread!

Lynn said...

Mmmm, I can smell that cinnamon bread from here :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails